Explain your role in supporting teachers, and how you serve them for the betterment of the community.
For this assignment, take on the role of principal at the school of your choice. Plan a morning of activities that you could implement to welcome your six new teachers before the school year starts.
Create an agenda that includes a combination of presentations and activities that introduce new or beginning teachers to each other, the campus, the school culture (vision, mission, values, rituals, and routines), instructional methods, and other duties as required.
In a 500-750 word agenda, include a brief description of the room set-up, and then describe the following for each session that will be conducted that morning:
- Topic title
- Facilitator’s name and title, chosen from your school’s administration or other campus leaders
- A brief description of the session
- Materials required
- Time allotted for the session
- Rationale for the session that explains: the purpose of the session; how it promotes a culture of collaboration, trust, high expectations for student learning, continuous improvement; and why the particular leader was selected to facilitate the session
Part 2: New Teacher Mentoring Plan
In 750-1,000 words, create a mentoring plan for the beginning teachers to be mentored by your school’s more experienced and proficient teachers.
Include the following in your plan:
- Purpose: Identify the purpose of the mentoring plan.
- Criteria: Identify basic criteria for being a mentor teacher.
- Timeline: Outline a mentoring sequence for the coming year to include at least two coaching sequences (pre-conference, observation, post-conference) for the beginning teacher to meet with and be observed by the mentor. Include time for the beginning teacher to observe the mentor teacher within at least one of the coaching sequences.
- Induction Activities: Develop three activities for the mentor teacher and beginning teacher, in addition to those listed in the timeline, to implement at any point in the school year, which will nurture a culture of collaboration, trust, learning, and high expectations. Support each activity with 1-2 references.
- Professional Development Topics: Identify specific professional development topics such as time on task, classroom management, etc. for discussion that will help to ensure teacher and organizational time is focused to support quality instruction and student learning.
- Budgetary Implications: Identify any budgetary implications for the mentor position.
- Servant Leadership: Explain how you will remain a servant leader throughout the mentoring program. Explain your role in supporting teachers, and how you serve them for the betterment of the community.